Thursday, March 17, 2016

Bunnies

Ever hear of Hunt Slonem?  Well, Hunt Slonem is an American painter, sculpture, and printmaker. Hunt was born in Kittery, Maine, in 1951.  When he was a child, his grandfather encouraged him to paint.  He can remember wanting to be a painter as early as 1st Grade.  Due to his dad's military career, he moved around every few years as a kid.  He lived in Hawaii, Virginia, Connecticut, California and Washington State.  He attended Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, but later received a bachelor of arts degree in painting and art history from Tulane University, in New Orleans, Louisiana.  After graduation, he moved to New York City and in the 1970s, his career "hopped" into gear.  Hunt enjoys painting bunnies.  Over the years, his paintings have multiplied.  (ha)
 
 
I challenged the 4th graders to look at Hunt's bunnies and make their own.  Here's a peak-
 
 
Here's Hunt with his bunnies!
 
 
Directions:
 
I showed the kids this video.
 

 
 I had several choices of paper for the kids.
I told them to draw bunnies on their paper.  I challenged them to be creative with their bunnies.
Once the had the bunnies sketched, they used white and black paint to create their work of art.
They arranged their bunnies on a square of white paper and the project ended with much sadness.
Due to the intense fun and work (yes, art is fun and work), the class stayed 15 extra minutes in art class.  So, the project took a little over an hour.  The 4th grade teachers gave me a slight wrist slapping for keeping those kids overtime, but look at these bunnies.  It was so worth it!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I love Hunt's story.  I often hear my elementary kids say that they want to be artists when they grow up.  Now, I will always think of little first grade artist, Hunt.  And of course, I will always hope that I live long enough to blog about one of my art students doing what they love and producing art for the world to love.
 
Here's the Beatles singing about LoVe!  As they sing, you can't buy love...But hey, you can buy art you love!
 

 
1965

No comments:

Post a Comment