Friday, February 26, 2016

Fly, Butterfly, Fly!

Here is a fun spring project for first grade.  Fly, Butterfly, FLY!
 
Directions:
 
1-I talked about symmetry.  I used scissors to cut and explain symmetry.  Luckily, the first grade teachers had already introduced the concept.  I was just doing a little reinforcement in the art room.
 
2-I had the students fold a sheet of 12" x 18" drawing paper in half.
 
3-I had the kids draw one butterfly wing on one half of the folded sheet.  Yes, this took a few tries for many.  I noticed students helping students and in a few minutes, we had one wing drawn.
 
4-The students with the folded paper in hand, cut the one wing out.  They were pretty amazed when 2 wings appeared.
 
5-The students painted their wings with tempera paint.
 
6-The teacher hot glued the pipe cleaners and wings on the construction paper.
 
 
Remember "Fly, Robin, Fly" by Silver Connection from 1975?
 

 
1965

No comments:

Post a Comment