Thursday, December 3, 2015

Here Comes the CORNER SANTA!

Here is a Corner Santa!  A "Corner Santa" is art with Santa stuck in the corner of the paper.

 
Of course, most art people know that this is a play on the famous "corner suns" that we see on lots of art in elementary school.  Need an example?  Nothing against corner suns, but they do get a little too simple as children progress from elementary to middle and high school.  Corner suns are a bit fascinating to me.  If teachers let students draw corner suns, they will continue to do so at least until 5th grade.  I have witnessed this with my students.
Now, 5th graders certainly do not have the same handwriting as they did in 1st grade.  It is just funny to me how handwriting gradually progresses, but art skills many times do not. Maybe the corner sun is a hiding place so kids will feel safe with art.  


To me, the corner santas do not have bad juju like the corner sun.  They are quite fun and have some pop.  Have a look!








It is now December.  I would like to share one of my students' favorite Christmas songs. The song is from Kids Rap Radio Holiday.  It is definitely not a "corner song".  My elementary kids love it.
 

1965

No comments:

Post a Comment