Friday, March 12, 2010

Cornucopias - Oil Pastels - The Elements & Principles of Art


Hey There, PEEPS! 
Well, I have to admit I am now back in the land of the living. You see our house was attacked by a serious virus! (it was bad...I mean real bad....the kind of sickness that you want to go and take stock in LYSOL kinda bad!)  We are all well and back on the mend. I wanted to make sure that I did a post on the fabulous Friday, so I dug through some of my photos at school and found these really nice cornucopias! We were working on covering The Elements and Principles of Art.  With Easter just around the corner, I think one could do this with an Easter Theme (baskets, eggs, & such) Yep, lots of possibilities if ya just put on your thinkin' cap.

I found this cool slide share on this very topic of the elements and principles. Check it out! Have kids ever asked you...WHAT are the ELEMENTS of ART and WHY are they so important? If so, check out this explanation. I thought it was pretty good way to explain it. I have used the concepts to try to explain why the   Elements and Principles are so important to a piece of art. One idea was that we following a recipe for a cake. If we added too much salt and not enough sugar then the cake wouldn't taste good - get the idea. I figure if I introduce this to my PK4 kids....by the time they are in 5th grade most of it will sink it, right....don't ya think? I do! I have seen proof in the last 18 + years in my classrooms....it does make a difference. You also make a difference by reading this blog and leaving comments to help spur on someone else's creativity.  
Hope you have a WONDERFUL WEEKEND! 
xox Kim 1969

No comments:

Post a Comment