Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cornbread....YUMO! (John "Cornbread" Anderson)





Hey, There! Ok, it is Kim #1969- bloggin' for a bit! Yes, my grandma "Ma Wini" sure did have a good Cornbread recipe! I kid you not. It was sooooo good to eat and even better to smell it hot in the oven as we were kids. Sis #1965 and I so luv us some cornbread! I am no Martha Stewart...but I can tell ya how to make cornbread...Butler, GA southern style.
Ma Wini's Cornbread
1 cup corn meal
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup of canola oil (Ok...she used CRISCO!)
* Mix all together. Pre-heat oven to like 350 or 400 and cook for 20 to 30 minutes depending on your oven.
Now, the real Cornbread I am going to blog about in the post is a man named John Cornbread Anderson. We were eating at a restaurant here in Tallahassee called The Red Elephant

I looked around and saw all of this funky folk art on the walls and I could not wait to learn more about him and figure out a good way to teach it to my students. I researched him online at different places. One place was Matila's Cottage . If you click the link and check it out, then you will see Cornbread's work and a little biography about him. You see art is everywhere! I found a teachable moment on a whim one night out with family and friends.
Creative thoughts to you all on this 1-28-10...bye bye #1969

No comments:

Post a Comment